Lead Character Artist
We’re SuperNatural, a video game studio that’s all about intensely unexpected fun.
Our team includes industry veterans who’ve worked on award-winning 90-plus-rated games, and now we’re building an original title and need talented and passionate people to help make it happen. Whether you’re new to the industry or want to make more of an impact, if you have a unique point of view and insatiable curiosity, we want to hear from you.
We value mentoring over dictating and diversity over uniformity. While we embrace creative tension and different points of view, our success depends on being a cohesive, collaborative team. That’s why at SuperNatural you’ll find a safe and supportive environment where openness and empathy rule.
That’s where you come in!
We’re looking for a Lead Character Artist with the passion and know-how to drive the creation of diverse characters. As the Lead Character Artist you will establish our character style, maintain our character creation process, and play a pivotal role in developing character-centric game features. SuperNatural embraces a highly collaborative and iterative development process, so this role will involve working with a variety of other departments and feature teams. The ideal candidate is a blend of excellent artist, effective manager, and understands the technical requirements and demands of a modern AAA character pipeline. This position is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and execute your vision for building the best-looking characters possible.
WHAT YOU’LL OWN
- Lead and guide the team to create stunning stylized characters in a contemporary art style.
- Sculpt/model, UV & texture, high & low polygon meshes.
- Work with the Concept Art and Animation teams to maintain the high quality with a solid character art pipeline.
- Collaboration with the tech team to help develop character tech and improve workflow
- Plan, organize and prioritize tasks with the Producer
- Modeling, texturing, and implementation of real-time characters.
- Track the creation process, identify problems, and find solutions.
- Contributing to concept art and art direction, also taking initiative to improve pipelines
- Collaboration with the Creative Director to maintain consistency on the art style
- Identify and troubleshoot problems and provide solutions
- Provide feedback to the team, mentor for the best practices
- Create documentation of pipelines and style guides
- Ensure performance and technical quality of character assets
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 5+ years working in the game industry, specializing in Character modeling
- A portfolio which demonstrates excellent Character Modeling skills.
- Unreal Engine & Console game experience
- Excellent knowledge on game art pipelines
- Ability to manage character creation from concepts to the detailed and finished product
- Being able to adapt to stylized art style. (Arcane, Spider verse)
- Excellent modeling, texturing, UV layout, PBR materials
- Knowledge of character anatomy, clothing, faces, hair
- Solid skills in Maya / MudBox / ZBrush, Substance Painter or equivalent
- Ability to give constructive feedback.
- A keen eye for composition, shape, color, and detail
- Great communication and leadership skills and being a team player
- Staying up to date on industry trends
WHAT ELSE WOULD BE HANDY
- Having a fine arts background.
- Proficiency with Game Engines
- Experience collaborating with Outsource partners.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Flexible working hours
- A hybrid work environment with remote-friendly culture. Our studio is in Vancouver, Canada but we people working across the US and Canada.
- A generous benefits package, both for US and Canadian team members, and competitive compensation that gets reviewed on the regular
- Tight team members whose passion, trust and mutual respect will inspire you to elevate your own expectations of yourself
- The opportunity to work in true cross-functional teams, delivering on our promise of surprisingly unexpected fun
Interested? Excellent. Email us at [email protected] with your resume and tell us why we’re a great fit for each other. Can’t wait to meet you!